Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 2

Day 2:

     Today was definitely a fun day.  Professor Yang reminded us that it doesn't take a load of fancy equipment and gadgets to make sure our students are having fun and being physical.  We played with frisbees.  Simple items. And we all had a ball.  We played catch with a partner and experimented with different ways of throwing the frisbee.  There's the Backhand, Forehand, Bounce, Through the Legs, etc...
    Then we incorporated a goal.  We split up into different sections of the gym and worked on throwing and catching the frisbee to our partner a certain number of times towards the designated goal lines marked by poly spots.  We'd work our way from goal line to goal line and see how many times we could do that in a certain amount of time.  Then the TA's came into the mix and played defense on us while we strived to accomplish the same goal.  I tried to be tricky and juke out Sarah (the defense) but of course I tripped over her feet and fell straight to the floor without any grace whatsoever!  HAHA! Hey all you can do is laugh right?
      Then we continued class with a yoga session.  Yoga is a great tool.  It's a great way to calm everyone down as an endcap to class.  I think I want to use it in my lessons in the future.  Especially if I'm teaching elementary students.  I remember when I was younger my classroom teacher had a hard time settling us down after PE because we were all worked up from the fun games we had played.  So I think it might be useful and neat to teach the children some simple yoga poses.
      We ended class with a little name game.  Everyone got in a big circle.  The point of the game was to have everyone go through and say their name, what they taught on day 1, and continue doing the same thing for each and every person who introduced themself in the circle beforehand.  Let me just tell you that I was glad I went 4th out of about 30.  Everyone did great though.  I was really impressed.  I think it was cool and a good reminder for us about how important it is to remember names.  If you remember someone's name it makes the relationship you have with that person slightly more personal.  It lets them know that they're important to you.

Keep Smiling :)
Keep Moving    
~Emily Woudenberg


No comments:

Post a Comment